Cambridge House School was founded in 1910 by Jane Craig Currie and Sarah Kinnear. Until 1929 it occupied a house in Audley Terrace, beside West Church. It then moved to purpose-built premises on the other side of the Ballymoney Road, where the car park now is. Essentially it was a girls’ school, although a few boys attended until the age of 13. When Miss Currie died in 1936, her niece, Patricia Owens, one of the first pupils (and a teacher since 1927), became Headmistress, a post she held until 1969.
In 1930 there had been 113 pupils, but by 1963 there were over 350 and the school had outgrown its accommodation. That year, governors took the decision to place the school entirely under the County Antrim Education Committee (the forerunner of the North Eastern Education and Library Board), thus entitling it to the funds necessary to build a new school with the necessary accommodation.
Cambridge House moved to its present site in 1973 and the following year Cambridge House Boys’ Grammar School opened on the same campus. Under W.J.Wallace (1974-2001) and Miss A.Graham (1976-1999), the two schools operated independently of each other until pupils reached Sixth Form, when they were educated together.
This system was not entirely satisfactory and so, in 2001, the two schools amalgamated to form today’s Cambridge House Grammar School, with a new uniform, badge and motto. The recent suggestion that the school might be ‘assimilated’ with Ballymena Academy was rejected and the future of Cambridge House as a controlled grammar school with its own identity is now secure.